Phi Delta Theta (Rhode Island Alpha chapter) owed its beginning in February 1889 to some members of the senior class who got together to thwart the plans of several fraternities who expected to gain all the offices of the senior class for themselves. These men, after being successful in winning some of the offices, wanted to continue their association and formed Sigma Rho Society, which affiliated with Phi Delta Theta. The chapter lived in Brunonia Hall and moved to 62 College Street in 1920. In about 1964 Phi Delta Theta became a local fraternity, Phi Delta Beta, after being instructed by the University to drop its national ties because of a discriminatory clause in the national constitution. After being reaffiliated in 1983 with Phi Delta Theta, the chapter lost its housing in the Wriston Quadrangle in 1985 because of vandalism, and the University ceased to recognize its charter.